According to ancient tradition, the wonderworking icon of Tikhvin is one of several painted by St Luke the Evangelist. The icon was taken from Jerusalem to Constantinople in the fifth century, where it was enshrined in the Church of Blachernae, which was built especially for this purpose. In 1383, seventy years before the fall of Constantinople, the icon was miraculously discovered near the town of Tikhvin in Russia. It is a Russian tradition that the Mother of God herself decided that her image should leave Constantinople in anticipation of the fall of the city to the Turks. The wonderworking Tikhvin icon came to be known and reverenced far and wide, as the icon - as well as copies of the icon - worked many miracles. Through the intercessions of the Theotokos, the Tikhvin icon has protected the Russian people from invasion and disasters.
During WWII, the icon was taken to Bavaria by Bishop John [Garklavs] of Riga, who was the icon's caretaker and who had been displaced by the war. Outwitting the Soviet authorities, the icon was eventually smuggled to the United States in 1949, where it remained in Chicago for over 50 years. In 2004, the icon was transferred back to Russia to return to its home village of Tikhvin.
Dimensions: 13"x 16"x 3/4"