Mother of God "Donskoy"

20000160

The original "Donskoy" Icon of the Mother of God was painted by Theophan the Greek. On the day of the Kulikovo Battle, the Icon was amidst the Russian army, giving it help, but after the victory it was passed on by the Don Cossacks as a gift to their commander, Greatprince Dimitrii Donskoy, who then transferred it to Moscow. In commemoration of the victory on the banks of the River Don, it was given the name of the "Donskoy" Icon.

In the year 1591, the Crimean khan Nuradin and his brother Murat-Girei invaded Russia with a great army, and advancing on Moscow, they positioned themselves on the Vorob'ev hills. For protection from their enemies, a church procession was made around Moscow with the Donskoy Icon of the Most Holy Mother of God. On the day of battle it was situated in the military chapel amidst the soldiers ranks, and set the Tatars to flight. In thanksgiving to the Most Holy Mother of God for her mercy, manifest through the Donskoy Icon, the Donskoy Monastery was founded in 1592 at the very place where it stood amidst the soldiers. The wonder-working icon was deposited there, and a feast day established on the 19th August.

By established custom, in the small cathedral in honour of the Donskoy Icon of the Mother of God, once every four years His Holiness the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia performs the rite of the consecrating the holy chrism.

7.25" x 8.75"

---

A custom-fitting wooden shrine, called "kiot" in Russian, is also available for this icon. Find it here >>


Next Previous

Related Items