HOLY CROSS MONASTERY
505 Holy Cross Road
Wayne, WV 25570-5403
Directions to the monastery from I-64 near Huntington, West Virginia
Note: These directions correspond to the numbered circles on the map at the bottom of this page.
- Take exit #8, Hwy 152, and head south for 13.5 miles. You will pass through the town of Lavalette. After this, you will pass a Wal-Mart on your left, then a saw mill on your right.
- Just before the H&R Block sign (on your left) make a left turn, crossing a bridge. This is Wilson Creek Rd. Go 4.1 miles on Wilson Creek Rd, keeping to the left at the first fork (follow the double yellow lines).
- Turn right at Millers Fork Rd. There is a sign which reads “Holy Cross Monastery.” Drive 1.5 miles on Millers Fork Rd.
- Take the Left Fork of Millers Fork Rd (at the fork you will see a second sign for the monastery). Drive 2.2 miles.
- Watch for a third sign: “Holy Cross Monastery.” Turn right at the gravel road. Drive 1/2 mile, passing over the large culvert, then bearing left and following the gravel road up a large hill (you will pass another, larger sign and a large wooden cross at the base of the hill).
- Coming to the top of the hill, you will pass several buildings to your left before coming to a gravel parking lot and another large wooden cross. You may park in this lot.
- If you are staying at the Monastery Guest House, pass through the monastery grounds continuing on the gravel road for another 1/2 mile. The Guest House is a log home on your right, next to a small cemetary. Parking is on the left.
Dress Code for visitors to the monastery
- Pants (no shorts), shirt (no T-shirts)
Head covering (scarf) should be worn at all times both in church and on monastery grounds
Long dress or skirt (below the knees) with long sleeves
No make up or perfume
Orthodox Christian clergy should wear cassocks or riassas.